One thing that I encountered after moving from a consulting company to being an in house developer was the lack of having QlikView Publisher as part of the environment. This added a few extra annoying steps to the pipeline that I did not enjoy. First being no application distribution. It’s good practice to have the users interact with a copy of the application rather than the source document. Publisher has the ability to distribute (copy) the application to a specified folder. The second was that instead of using QlikView’s security to provide rights, we had to utilize Windows file security. Lastly, only one task per application. Which in a lot of circumstances, you may need multiple triggers for an application.
So after manually copying the applications, manually placing file security on the folders, and setting up batch files to reload the applications, I had enough. It left a lot of human error in the mix, and I missed things more than a couple times. So once I had some time, I built two applications which covered the majority of Publisher’s capability.
The one thing I did not replicate is loop and reduce. However I figured if a company has enough CALs to support a need for loop and reduce they will have enough money and reason to buy Publisher.
The first application I built loads some parameters and copies the QVW to the folder specified and gives the folder the security rights needed. I did this buy loading the name of the application, the destination and the security group dedicated to the app. It loads a sample batch file, replaces the placeholder parameters with the ones loaded and generates two batch files and executes them. Copy > Apply Security.
You can find the application here.
*The one and only caveat is the QVW cannot have spaces in the name. The reason is because, due to the encoding ,when storing the .bat file, it will add extra quotes to the file contents making it unusable. As I’m writing it, it may be possible to execute the commands without storing to bat files. Bypassing the encoding issue. I’ll have to test later on.
The second application handles multiple reloads. Instead of using the batch file method, this app uses the batch mode of the QlikView Distribution Service. I really like this because you can do multiple applications per task in the QMC and it will still alert you if something fails. While the batch file method does not. Also, I’ve had times where qv.exe wouldn’t close after a stalled task eating up tons of memory. Where as the QDS will timeout and close it.
You can find this application here.
Hopefully these may help you as much as they have helped me. At this point, going back to the old process would be extremely painful.